The Prisoners and Detainees Department is taking action to promote the following objectives:
• Attempting to create a dialogue with the IPS (Israeli Prison Service) to enable external supervision and to carry out much needed improvements.
• Strengthening supervision of the IPS, particularly in areas of health care, and enhancing transparency in incarceration facilities by making data from inspections public knowledge.
• Struggling to realize the prisoners’ right to complain about their incarceration conditions and access to medical care, and filing these complaints with sources outside the prison system for a professional treatment of the complaints.
• Examining the option that IPS’s medical care facilities not be subordinate to the IPS or the Ministry of Defense but rather under the responsibility of either the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Justice.
• Struggle against the shackling of prisoners in hospitals.
• Struggle against isolation and segregation in prisons in Israel.
• Struggle against torture and doctors’ involvement in torture in Israel.
In order to promote these objectives the department distributes information compiled in reports
and in the media
files prisoners’ petitions and petitions with the High Court of Justice, lobbies the Knesset and initiates education and information activities.